Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jiang wins Japan Open women's badminton title

courtesy
TOKYO — Unseeded 2002 world junior champion Jiang Yanjiao shocked world number one Wang Xin to win the women's singles title at the Japan Open on Sunday in an all-Chinese final.
The 24-year-old Jiang, who eliminated fellow Chinese Lu Lan and Wang Shixian on her way to the final, came from behind in both games to score a 23-21, 21-18 victory in Tokyo.
"I'm really glad that I won the title in my first final here. It was a tough match, but both of us played our best," said Jiang.
"I just played patiently. That's the key to the victory. We know each other. I planned to change the pace when I am in a difficult situation.
"This victory is very important because the level of our teammates are almost the same. It's tougher to play against my teammate, much tougher than when I play against players from other countries," she added.
It was Jiang's first title this season.
For Wang, who became world number one in the new rankings issued on Thursday, it was a second straight final defeat at the Japan Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment